WHEN LOOKING FOR HOUSING
REMEMBER THAT LANDLORDS WANT TO BE ASSURED THAT:
- You will pay the rent on time.
- You will take care of their property.
- You will not disturb other tenants.
A LANDLORD MAY REQUIRE
- An application fee.
- Past landlord references.
- A certain income level.
- Credit references.
- First month’s rent and a security deposit.
- Criminal background check.
All of these requirements are legal if the same requirements, standards, and conditions are applied to everyone, equally.
TIPS FOR APARTMENT/HOUSING SEEKERS:
Call the housing provider first for information on available apartments, the number of bedrooms, monthly rent cost, deposits, utilities paid by the landlord, or paid by a tenant and other services-laundry etc.
When you go to see an apartment or rental house:
- Be on time for your appointment.
- Be neat. Meeting with a landlord or manager is like going for a job interview.
- Have all the required information organized and prepared. (Your bank account numbers, name of references with their addresses and phone numbers, and your credit card numbers, etc.) You may also be asked for a photo I.D. in order to see a sample apartment.
- Bring your checkbook, if you have one. If you like the apartment, put a deposit on it. The deposit will show the landlord that you are serious and have the necessary financial resources. Ask about any additional fees in advance and GET- RECEIPTS. Some deposits may be non-refundable.
- If you leave a message on the manager’s answering machine, DO NOT WAIT for him or her to call back. Call again that evening or the next day. Or you can try leaving a note on the front door of the vacant rental. (never disturb tenants)
- Try to get an individual appointment with the landlord or manager, rather than attend an open house.
If you believe you may have had experienced housing discrimination because of your race, sex, color, religion, national origin, physical or mental handicap, or familial status. Call the Intermountain Fair Housing Council @ 383-0695 or 1-800-717-0695 Se habla espańol with TTY & Language Line Service available