COVID-19 Resource Guide

Housing and Humanity: A Guide for Tenants and Fair Housing Providers in the Era of COVID-19

The work that provided the basis for this publication was supported by funding under a grant with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The substance and findings of the work are dedicated to the public. The author and publisher are solely responsible for the accuracy of the statements and interpretations contained in this publication. Such interpretations do not necessarily reflect the views of the Federal Government.

The Intermountain Fair Housing Council (IFHC) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to ensure open and inclusive housing for all persons without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, a source of income, or disability. The IFHC attempts to eradicate discrimination through, education on the fair housing laws, housing information and referral, housing counseling, and assistance with mediating and or filing fair housing complaints, among other things. The IFHC also provides education and outreach on fair housing laws and practices to housing providers and others.

Intermountain Fair Housing Council (IFHC) is here to help renters and community members during the COVID-19 crisis and the impact of this public health emergency. IFHC and our fair housing partners would like to help community members as they are experiencing layoffs, reduced work hours and wages, and other impacts from this crisis. Many tenants have and will experience financial hardships–they will be unable to pay rent, pay utilities, access food, access healthcare, and access transportation.

IFHC encourages tenants and housing providers to talk about their needs and work with each other to find a mutually agreeable solution, to keep everybody housed while preserving credit and rental histories. For tenants, if you can meet your needs and pay rent, you should. For those in our community who cannot meet their needs and pay rent, we have compiled this guide full of resources and best practice tips. We hope this information can help you and your community to stay healthy and housed during this unprecedented time.

Download a PDF of the full guide here:
COVID-19 Resource Guide (English)
COVID-19 Resource Guide (Spanish)
COVID-19 Resource Guide (Swahili)

Assistance for American Families and Workers 

The COVID-19 public health crisis and the resulting economic crisis have created a variety of challenges for families across the country and changed the way we all live and work. The Treasury Department provides critical assistance to individuals and their families, creating the opportunity to keep families safe and thriving, at work and at home. Find out more from the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Website here

Emergency Rental Assistance 

Even as the American economy continues its recovery from the devastating impact of the pandemic, millions of Americans face deep rental debt and fear evictions and the loss of basic housing security. COVID-19 has exacerbated an affordable housing crisis that predated the pandemic and that has exacerbated deep disparities that threaten the strength of an economic recovery that must work for everyone. 

To meet this need, the Emergency Rental Assistance program makes funding available to government entities to assist households that are unable to pay rent or utilities. 

Learn more about funding to state, local, territorial, and Tribal governments for emergency rental assistance on the U.S. Department of Treasury’s website here. 

Apply for Emergency Rental Assistance 

Idaho residents who need help paying for rent or utilities 

If you or a renter you know has experienced financial hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic and cannot pay rent or utilities, short-term assistance may be available. 

Landlords and property managers can submit applications on behalf of tenants. 

You will need to provide documentation of the following: 

  • Utilities – Gather all past due bills to include, water, sewer/garbage, gas, electric, etc. (WIFI and satellite/cable are not eligible) 
  • Provide a written statement about how the Covid-19 pandemic has affected the renter. i.e., loss of work, got Covid, quarantined, had to care for a family member, has a health condition that would be exacerbated if contracted Covid. 
  • Provide Copies of all household income i.e., SSA/SSDI/SSI, VA, Employment, Unemployment, etc. 
  • A copy of the full current lease agreement. 
  • A copy of the Notice for Nonpayment/Eviction 

If you do not have one or more of the items above, you can still apply. The organizations distributing the funds can help you identify other options if one or more of these items is not accessible to you. 

Ada County Residents 

The Boise City & Ada County Housing Authorities (BCACHA) administers the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). This program is designed to aid Ada County renters facing financial hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are currently renting and your household has experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to receive emergency rent and/or utility assistance.  

Visit the Emergency Rental Assistance application on the Boise City & Ada County Housing Authority website here. 

To qualify you must: 

  • Be an Ada County resident 
  • Have a current lease agreement 
  • Meet income eligibility criteria 
  • *Visit the ERAP Requirements page to learn more about the specific income eligibility requirements 
  • Have a documented loss of income due to COVID-19 
  • Be at risk of homelessness or housing instability 

You will need the following documents: 

  • Proof of income, (2 months’ worth) 
  • A copy of your lease agreement, 
  • A rent delinquency notice or your past-due utility bill, 
  • Basic information about each household member, 
  • An electronic copy of a government-issued ID, 
  • Email address for landlord. 

The maximum amount of assistance households can receive is dependent upon need and funding availability. If you have any questions about eligibility, or if you need assistance completing the application, please call (208) 363-9710 or email

All Other Residents – Outside of Ada County 

Idaho Housing and Finance Association Emergency Rental Assistance Program is designed to aid Idaho Residents outside of Ada County facing financial hardship because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Idaho Housing and Finance Association (IHFA)’s Online Application for Emergency Rental Assistance provides the required documents needed to submit an application. 

Visit the Emergency Rental Assistance application on the Idaho Housing And Finance Association website here. 


  • Unable to pay rent/utilities because of COVID- related circumstances 
  • Idaho resident (excluding Ada County) 
  • Income is 81% or less of Area Median Income 
  • Owe past-due rent/utilities or unable to pay upcoming rent/utilities 

The maximum amount of assistance households can receive is dependent upon need and funding availability. If you have any questions about eligibility, or if you need assistance completing the application, please call 1-855-452-080. You can also email

Additionally, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has a tool that allows you to find rental assistance programs in your area. This tool can search for programs in any state, territory, tribe, or tribal lands. Visit CFPB’s Find rental assistance program tool here 

Economic Impact Payments 

The Treasury Department, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sent out three rounds of direct relief payments during the COVID-19 crisis: Starting in March 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act); The COVID-related Tax Relief Act of 2020, enacted in late December 2020; The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (American Rescue Plan), enacted in early March 2021. 

Payments from the third round continue to be disbursed to Americans. 

For more information, go to the Treasury Department’s website here. 

Check The Status of Your Economic Impact Payment: 

  • To check if you qualify for the Economic Impact Payment this round, or if you were eligible to receive an Economic Impact Payment in 2020, but never received it, you can find information about claiming the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit with your tax return to get the relief payments you’re owed. Get more info here 

Unemployment Compensation 

Across the nation, millions of Americans lost their jobs in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and, as a result, claimed unemployment benefits. The American Rescue Plan extended employment assistance, starting in March 2021. 

In addition, the American Rescue Plan waives federal income taxes on the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits received in 2020 by individuals with adjusted gross incomes less than $150,000. The tax relief extends to both workers who received benefits through federal unemployment programs as well as those who received traditional benefits through their state unemployment insurance fund. This law will provide tax relief for Americans who lost their jobs and utilized unemployment benefits last year – allowing millions of workers to focus their benefits on covering essentials during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Learn more about unemployment compensation on the U.S. Department of Treasury website here. 

Child Tax Credit 

The American Rescue Plan increased the Child Tax Credit and expanded its coverage to better assist families who care for children. 

The American Rescue Plan’s expansion of the Child Tax Credit will substantially reduce child poverty by (1) supplementing the earnings of families receiving the tax credit, and (2) making the credit available to a significant number of new families. Specifically, the Child Tax Credit has been revised in the following ways for 2021: 

  • The credit amount has been increased. The American Rescue Plan increased the amount of the Child Tax Credit from $2,000 to $3,600 for qualifying children under age 6, and $3,000 for other qualifying children under age 18. 
  • The credit is now fully refundable. By making the Child Tax Credit fully refundable, low- income households will be entitled to receive the full credit benefit, as significantly expanded and increased by the American Rescue Plan. 
  • The credit’s scope has been expanded. The American Rescue Plan allowed 17-year-olds to qualify for the Child Tax Credit. Previously, only children 16 and younger qualified. 
  • Eligible taxpayers will receive advance payments of half of their estimated 2021 Child Tax Credit amounts during 2021. This change will allow struggling families to receive financial assistance now, rather than waiting until the 2022 tax filing season to receive the Child Tax Credit benefit. The IRS and the Bureau of the Fiscal Service will make these advance payments to eligible taxpayers on a periodic basis from July through December 2021. 

In addition, the American Rescue Plan has extended the full Child Tax Credit permanently to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Territories. For the first time, low-income families residing in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Territories will receive this vital financial assistance to better support their children’s development and health and educational attainment. 

Learn more about the Child Tax Credit on the U.S. Department of Treasury website here 

If you cannot pay your rent 

In these uncertain times, you may encounter that you’re struggling to make monthly rent payments. The first step is to talk to your housing provider and ask them to forgo the eviction and/or discuss a plan on how you both will address your inability to pay rent. You can ask for rent waiver/forgiveness and negotiate the terms of a payback with or without a contract provided by your landlord. 

  • Get an agreement in writing and/or document the agreement. 
  • If you AND your landlord are in Idaho, you can legally record the conversation via your phone or recording device as evidence supporting your agreement. 

Housing providers play a large role in keeping people housed during the pandemic. Evictions are very expensive and time-consuming for both parties. Rather than a costly and emotionally taxing eviction process, try creating a payment plan. You still get your rent money, and your tenant gets to stay in their home. 

Jesse Tree of Idaho provides forms for both renters and housing providers to negotiate a payment plan on their website. 

Deferral Agreements 

A rent deferment agreement allows a tenant to defer rent payment for a specified period. Typically, the agreement defers only a portion of rent and the tenant must continue to make minimum payments. Keep in mind that under Idaho law if you owe rent and do not pay or you are being evicted, you may be evicted if an agreement is not reached. See legal resources at the end of this guide. 

Some items to look at should your housing provider request or require a deferral agreement: 

  • Are they requiring you or your co-tenants to have evidence of nonpayment? See above for tips. 
  • Are they requiring you and or your co-tenants to have a cosigner or guarantor who must also meet certain criteria? 
  • Are they asking you if you have Increased costs related to children and childcare? If so, they cannot discriminate against families with children. 
  • If they are asking you if you have medical costs, this may be an inquiry into the nature or the severity of a disability. If you have questions or concerns, contact the legal resources in this document. 
  • If they are denying your request to forgo eviction, rent and or a deferral agreement because of lease violations, past due rent, litigation and or other dispute, and you need help, contact legal resources in this document. 

Other potential concerns to consider related to any agreement and may warrant legal assistance and/or clarification: 

  • The housing provider caps the monthly amount deferred or only defer a portion if the tenant is only partially affected. 
  • The monthly repayment of rent is strict and does not allow payment over a reasonable period as a tenant can afford. 
  • The monthly payments do not extend beyond the end of the current lease, and or may not allow new lease unless all back rent is paid. 
  • Housing providers may require you to update the application, review your current application to make sure it is accurate, and or the like. 

Navigating a Rental Deferment Qualification Program – Demonstrating financial impact 

If your housing provider has a rent deferment qualification program, they might require you to demonstrate financial status due to the COVID-19 crisis by showing evidence of financial impact because of exposure to COVID-19, quarantine, loss of wages because of public health-related business closure or reduced services, etc. If the housing provider asks you to provide evidence or information you don’t understand or have questions about, put your questions in writing and or follow the self-advocacy information above. If you feel uncomfortable sharing information after clarification such as your disability, sensitive bank information, social security number, and or medical information, contact the legal resources in this guide for assistance. 

If your housing provider asks you to forgo your federal relief money to stay current on rent and you cannot afford to do so because of COVID-19, need for food, medical care, and the like, let them know that you cannot do so and why. You do not need to state the nature of your medical care and or disability as that is private information. If your housing provider asks about your medical condition and or disability to qualify for rent forgiveness or deferment, it may violate the Fair Housing Act. Contact Intermountain Fair Housing Council for support. 

Reasonable Accommodation Requests 

Reasonable accommodations are an important tool to protect the housing rights of tenants with disabilities. Given the huge impact of pandemic on tenants across the country, advocates should consider utilizing these important protections to protect tenants with exposure to COVID-19. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has determined that people over the age of 65 and people with certain underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk of severe illness or complications from COVID-19. Because of this, the CDC and medical professionals have advised that individuals at higher risk should limit their exposure to other people. This impacts people’s ability to conduct daily life activities. 

Many, if not all, of the underlying medical conditions that make people more vulnerable to serious COVID-19 related illnesses are considered disabilities under the Fair Housing Act. If a tenant with a disability needs a change to a landlord’s rules or policies to protect themselves from contracting COVID-19, they should be entitled to a reasonable accommodation. For example, a tenant that was scheduled to vacate their unit by a certain date could request additional time to remain in the unit, or a person could need modified guest policies to allow caregivers and persons bringing supplies to the individual. 

COVID-19 may be considered a disability and thus, housing providers should consider granting reasonable accommodations related to COVID: 

  • additional time to pay rent, find affordable, accessible housing 
  • additional time for whatever is needed if the individual has COVID – an extension on time to find housing, an extension on eviction procedures, an accommodation in the manner rent is paid, etc. 

If you need additional time to pay rent and or to move due to your disability, contact the Intermountain Fair Housing Council to begin a Reasonable Accommodation Request to request more time to move. 

The Federal Fair Housing Act (FHA) is a federal law that prohibits discrimination in housing. One of the many protections of the FHA is the right of individuals with disabilities to request a reasonable accommodation in the rules, policies, practices, or services of a housing provider and requires housing providers to make “reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices, or services, when such accommodations may be necessary to afford such person equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling.” 

The Act defines a person with a disability to include (1) individuals with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; (2) individuals who are regarded as having such an impairment; and (3) individuals with a record of such an impairment. 

The term “physical or mental impairment” includes, but is not limited to, such diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech and hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, autism, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection, mental retardation, emotional illness, drug addiction (other than addiction caused by current, illegal use of a controlled substance) and alcoholism. The term “substantially limits” suggests that the limitation is “significant” or “to a large degree.” The term “major life activity” means those activities that are of central importance to daily life, such as seeing, hearing, walking, breathing, performing manual tasks, caring for oneself, learning, and speaking. This list of major life activities is not exhaustive 

Whenever a person submits a request that a rule, policy, practice, or service be changed or modified in some way to afford a person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling, such a request is a reasonable accommodation request. 

The request: 

  • Doesn’t have to be in writing, but it’s recommended 
  • There is no specific HUD form 
  • Should state that the person has a disability (doesn’t need to say which one) 
  • Should state that the person needs the accommodation or modification because of their disability 
  • Should state that the accommodation or modification is necessary to give them equal use of their housing 

The person receiving a reasonable accommodation request may not maintain a blanket policy with regard to such requests. Instead, each reasonable accommodation request must be considered on a case-by-case basis to determine whether the granting of the request is necessary to afford the person with a disability who submitted the request equal opportunity to use and enjoy their dwelling. 

A reasonable accommodation request can be denied if it is not “reasonable”. A reasonable accommodation request is not “reasonable” if it imposes a fundamental alteration in the nature of the program or an undue financial or administrative burden on the party to whom it is submitted. For more information on Reasonable Accommodation Requests, please see IFHC’s guide here

The person considering a reasonable accommodation request may not require any specific forms or procedures to be used and may not require that the request be made in writing or at any specific time or place. 

If the housing provider (or the person who receives a reasonable accommodation request) decides that the request will be denied, they must first engage in an interactive dialogue with the person who requested the accommodation to explore how an accommodation can be granted. A housing provider that engages in hostile or harassing actions while having an interactive dialogue with the tenant can be found to have not sufficiently engaged in the interactive process and the reasonable accommodation request can be deemed to have been denied. Furthermore, such conduct may be illegal retaliation in violation of the FHA. 

If your housing provider is unwilling to engage in an interactive process to find an accommodation that will work, contact Intermountain Fair Housing Council. 

For sample forms and more guidance on Requesting Reasonable Accommodations or Reasonable Modifications, check out our guide on the IFHC website

COVID-19 Vaccine 

Anyone age 5 or older can receive 2 primary COVID vaccinations and 1 booster shot in Idaho. Thank you to everyone who chooses to protect our communities by getting the COVID-19 vaccine if they are able. 

Use the Vaccine Finder to find more information about vaccine locations, the vaccine brands available, and walk-in or scheduling details. 

Find a COVID-19 Mobile Vaccination Clinic near you. 

If you have a cell phone, you can text your zip code to 438829 (GETVAX) to have vaccine locations in your area pushed to you. For Spanish, text your zip code to 822862 (VACUNA). You can also contact the national call center at 1-800-232-0233.  

Talk to your regular healthcare provider. Find a list of providers in your area to schedule an appointment directly by visiting your local Health District website (see below). 

What Type of Vaccine Will I Get? 

If you have questions about which vaccine your vaccine provider has available, please talk to the provider. Below is the recommended age for each vaccine, at the time of the publishing of this guide: 

  • Pfizer-BioNTech – 5 years and older 
  • Moderna – 18 years and older 
  • Johnson & Johnson – 18 years and older 

What to Expect at Your Vaccination Appointment 

  • You will receive a vaccination card that says which COVID-19 vaccine you were given as well as the date and location it was administered. 
  • You should also receive a fact sheet with additional information about the COVID-19 vaccine you are getting. There are fact sheets for each COVID-19 vaccine with information about the risks and benefits of that vaccine. 
  • Allow time to stay at the vaccination site for 15-30 minutes after getting vaccinated to make sure you don’t have a reaction that needs medical attention. 

What to Expect After You Get Vaccinated 

  • COVID-19 vaccines may cause mild to moderate reactions, including pain or swelling at the injection site, muscle pain, headaches, and mild to moderate fevers. These are normal signs the body is producing an immune response. You may report adverse events following vaccination at
  • It takes time to build protection and immunity after getting a vaccine. A person is considered immune two weeks after receiving the second dose of COVID-19 vaccine. 
  • If the vaccine you’re getting requires two doses, you should get both doses unless a healthcare provider or doctor tells you not to. 
  • If you have not received 2 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine and you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested. 
  • If you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did prior to the pandemic. 
  • Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance. 

COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Information 

According to the CDC: 

  • COVID-19 vaccine boosters can further enhance or restore protection that might have decreased over time after your primary series vaccination. 
  • People are protected best from severe COVID-19 illness when they stay up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines, which includes getting all recommended boosters when eligible. 
  • To learn more about whether you’re up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines, please visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website here 
  • Everyone ages 5 years and older should get 1 booster after receiving their first 2 COVID vaccinations 
  • Adults ages 50 years and older and people ages 12 years and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised should get 2 booster doses after receiving their first 2 COVID vaccinations. 
  • The recommended timeline for receiving your 1st and 2nd booster doses depends on criteria such as age, health, and the type of COVID vaccine. To learn more about when you should receive your COVID-19 vaccine boosters, please visit the CDC website. 

Go to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare website here for more information on vaccines.  

COVID-19 Vaccines Frequently Asked Questions 

From Idaho State Independent Living Council 

Were the COVID-19 vaccines rushed? 

Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson did not rush the vaccine testing for safety. COVID-19 vaccines are new, but mRNA vaccines, like Pfizer and Moderna, are not. 

They have been studied for years for other diseases like Zika, rabies, and in cancer research. The type of COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson was created in the 1970’s and has been used to treat cancer, flu, HIV, and in research. 

The vaccines were approved so fast because the FDA made it a priority. 

Did many people test the vaccines first? 

More than 70,000 people volunteered to test out the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and more than 40,000 tested Johnson & Johnson, helping to make sure the vaccines were safe. 

Scientists and public health officials, not politicians, decided when the COVID-19 vaccine was safe, effective and ready for the public. 

Do any of the vaccines have the COVID-19 virus in them? 

No. None of the COVID-19 vaccines have the COVID-19 virus in them. 

Can you get sick from the vaccine? 

You may feel sick after you get vaccinated for COVID-19. You could have a sore arm, be tired, have a headache, fever or feel cold and you may feel sick to your stomach. 

I already had COVID-19, do I need a COVID-19 shot? 

Yes, you still need a COVID-19 shot. Getting the COVID-19 shot can protect you longer. 

Does the COVID-19 vaccine change my DNA? 

The vaccine does not change your DNA, it works with your body’s natural defense to help protect you from the virus. 

I know people who had the COVID-19 vaccine and still got COVID-19. 

No vaccine is 100% effective. If you get COVID-19, the chances of you getting really sick or dying are much, much lower. The vaccine does not prevent anyone from getting COVID-19 but it does help your body have the tools to fight it. 

How do I know that the COVID-19 vaccine won’t hurt me in the future? 

If there is going to be a problem (side effect) with a vaccine, it will usually be mild and will happen within the first three days after receiving the vaccine. Nearly all side effects will resolve within three days of beginning. 

More questions? 

Call Central District Health Call Center at 208-321-2222 or Idaho State Independent Living Council 208-334-3800 or 800-487-4866 and they will help you to find the answers. 

Resources on COVID-19 Vaccines 

Johns Hopkins Medicine 



Johnson & Johnson 

Mayo Clinic 

Center for Disease Control 

Community Resources 

Self-Rescue Manual – this one is mainly for Ada and Canyon County is in English & Spanish 

Know Your Rights During COVID-19 

Intermountain Fair Housing Council 


Phone: 208-383-0695 

Toll-Free: 1-800-717-0695 

Idaho Legal Aid Services 

Boise office: 208-746-7541 

Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program 

Phone: 208-334-4500 

Lawyer Referral Services 

Phone: 208-334-4500 

Jesse Tree 


Phone: 208-383-9486 

Tenant Support 

See IFHC’s Guide to Organizing Tenant Associations: Organizing Tenant Associations 

Contact Boise Renters United if you would like support or to plug in with ongoing tenant efforts in Idaho. 

If you need additional time to move due to your disability, contact the Intermountain Fair Housing Council to begin a Reasonable Accommodation Request to request more time to move out. 

Taking Care of Your Emotional Health – CDC 

Text HOME to 741741 or click here for an anonymous conversation with a trained Crisis Counselor. This takes less than five minutes, remains anonymous. The Crisis Counselor will help you sort through your feelings by asking questions, empathizing, and actively listening. 

For survivors of addiction who are having difficulty especially with this displacement, this may be helpful: 

Access Point is a central location in each county where people can discuss in person or over the phone their housing crisis. 

Call text or chat with our local 211 to speak with a community specialist that has a comprehensive list of services and resources for everyone. 

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline via text or call at 1-800-799-7233. 

Internet/Wifi Coverage   

Indigenous Community Resources 

Nez Perce Tribal Housing Authority​ 

The mission of the Nez Perce Tribal Housing Authority is to create opportunities to meet the housing needs of enrolled members of the Nez Perce Tribe by maximizing the utilization of available resources to ensure services are provided in an efficient, professional, economical, and timely manner; forming and enhancing partnerships between the NPTHA and tribal, state, local, and private entities; promoting self-sufficiency and improving the quality of life. 

The Nez Perce Tribal Housing Authority has a rental assistance program for those affected by COVID-19, with preference for any enrolled Native Households, for renters in Lewiston, Clarkston, Pullman, Moscow, Grangeville, and Joseph. 

Applicant eligibility requirements are: 

  • Inability to pay rent/utilities due to COVID-19 related financial hardship 
  • A household member must be enrolled in a federally recognized Tribe 
  • Must reside within the 1855 Nez Perce Treaty boundaries 
  • Have an income of 80% or less of the area median income 

This application may be completed by a renter or by a housing or service provider acting on behalf of a renter seeking assistance. The information provided should reflect the household seeking assistance. An eligible household that lives in a federally subsidized residence (Section 8, Low Income Housing Tax Credit, Public Housing, Etc.) may not receive assistance for any costs that have been or will be covered. The current funding source for this program will only cover eligible costs incurred prior to December 31, 2021. 

You will need the following documents to complete this application: 

  • Rental contract 
  • Utilities 
  • Household income 
  • Covid eligibility 

If you are missing any of these documents at the time of application, program staff will follow up with you to submit the required documents. If you need assistance with this application, you can call (208) 843-2229 from Monday through Friday, between 8 am and 430 pm Pacific Time, or email

Click here for the online application or contact NPTHA for the application package. 

Fort Hall Housing Authority​ 

The mission of the Fort Hall Housing Authority is to “develop and manage affordable housing for the purpose of providing decent, safe, and sanitary housing for eligible tribal members and to create economic development opportunities that promote stability of the program and the social well-being of our community.” 

COVID-19 Hotline: 208-238-5494 


Youth and Adult Vaccine Opportunities 

  • $50 vaccine incentive at Not-tsoo Gah-nee IHS Clinic 
  • (Vaccine card & Tribal ID/CIB required) 
  • For completion of the initial series, and one for the first booster dose ONLY (not any additional boosters), 2 incentives available per person. 

Fort Hall Housing Authority 

  • Offer Pfizer vaccines to children 6 months to 4 years 
  • Children 5 – 11, and Adults 12 and Up can receive Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson and Johnson vaccines 
  • Booster shots are offered (anyone 5 and up, if it’s been within the allotted amount of time since their last dose. They need to bring their vaccine card) 

Open 8AM-5 PM, Closed for lunch from 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM 

Contact: 208-238-5494 

Not-tsoo Gah-Nee IHS Clinic 

  • Only offer scheduled appointments. Open 8-5 PM all weekdays, last appointment for the day is offered at 3:30PM. 
  • Offer Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson vaccines. 
  • Call to schedule:
    • 208-238-5435 (Community Health Nursing Program) 
    • 208-238-5427 (IHS Medical) 

Fort Hall Community 

All individuals 18+ frequenting Fort Hall Reservation 

Shoshone-Bannock Community Health Center 

  • Walk-in clinic schedule: 
  • 7 days/week from 12-8 pm 
  • Or call to schedule: 208-478-3987 


Not-tsoo Gah-Nee IHS Clinic  

  • COVID-19 exposure or symptoms: 
  • The office is open Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm. Appointments offered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, 9AM – 11AM and 1:00 – 3:30 PM. Thursday 1:00 – 3:30 PM. 

Call to schedule: 208-238-5494.  

Fort Hall Community 

All individuals frequenting Fort Hall Reservation 

Shoshone-Bannock Community Health Center 

  • 7 days/week 1-7:45pm walk-in 

Contact Tracing and Quarantine Services 

Contact information: 208-478-3901 

Hours M-F 8 am-5 pm 

Food and Economic Resources 

Elder Nutrition 

Serve meals to seniors ages 55 and older. Also, there is an information department for seniors, if they need help, helping them find the right department 

Monday-Friday 8AM – 4 PM. 

Contact: 208-478-3858 

Old Casino Drive-Thru Style Lunch 

Monday-Friday 11:30am-12:10 pm 

Dining Room – 11:30am -12:30 pm, Monday – Friday 

  • Must be a tribal member and over 55 

Contact: 208-478-3715 (kitchen staff)  or 208 – 478- 3858 (program superintendent) 

Food Distribution 

Old Casino Food Box: Monthly 3rd Thursday 3-6 pm 

Contact: 208-478-3985 

Food Pantry:  

Monday – Friday 10AM – 4 PM 

Contact: 208-478-3861 (program manager, primary number)/  208-478-3709 (secondary number) 

477 Program Emergency Assistance 

Assistance Application 

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm 

Contact: 208-478-3898 

477 Program TANF/GA 

Assistance Application 

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm 

Contact: 208-478-3861 

Tribal Housing Opportunities Program 

Credit/Budget Counseling, Foreclosure Prevention, and Loans 

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm 

Contact: 208-478-3936 


Fort Hall Housing Authority 

Rental Assistance and Housing 

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm 

Contact: 208-237-1174 

Transportation Resources 

Shoshone-Bannock Transportation 

Monday-Friday 6am-8pm 

Contact: 208-478-4069 

Community Health Representatives 

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm  

Medical priority transportation contact: 208-478-3967 or 208-478-3968

Download a PDF of the full guide here:
COVID-19 Resource Guide (English)
COVID-19 Resource Guide (Spanish)
COVID-19 Resource Guide (Swahili)